Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Year Fun!

Each year I think through what I would consider a good resolution for myself. I usually try to come up with a personal goal, professional goal, and a spiritual goal. Well, this year I've decided this blog is going to be my accountability for my "professional" goal. I don't plan on blogging everyday, heck, I may not blog every week. But, I am hoping to use this as a tool to make it a priority to do an activity in my classroom at least once a week that is worthy of putting on a blog. 

Here's to hoping this blog is going to make me a better teacher & welcome to my first grade world!  


This week we have been studying penguins. Today, we read a non-fiction story on penguins. We discussed facts vs. opinions. The children wanted to argue that there was just NO WAY you couldn't prove that penguins are cute. They swore it just HAD to be a fact. Whew! 





                                                           We completed this hand-out. 

In typical New Year's fashion we made some first grade resolutions. We discussed what it meant to make a resolutions. I got a good laugh out of some of the firsties calling it a "New Year's Revolution", ya know like from those adorable Alltel commercials?! We read the book Squirrel's New Year's Resolution. After reading we put all of the resolutions from the story on an interactive writing chart. Then, we brainstormed some of our own. First graders can come up with some of the best resolutions. I love the way they think! We made this super cute craftivity to add to our resolution writing. 





Happy New Year! 


No comments:

Post a Comment